[Rhodes22-list] Marvel Mystery Oil

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:27:18 EST 2007

Ed,

When I said 'gun oil' I simply meant a light penetrating oil.  The solven in
MMO and AVBlent is what gets the lead out.  MMO could probably get FAA
approval is someone wanted to go through the hundreds of thousands of
dollars, and years to get approval.  They sell enough of the stuff at
WalMart not to bother and why open your company to the aviation lawsuit
vultures?

Rummy,

Yeah, the lead is there as a lubricant.  All of our cars that run on
unleaded have been re-designed to not need the lead.  There hasn't been a
really new general aviation piston engine designed since WW2 (more lawyer
stuff) unless you count the diesels coming out of Europe.  In fact, most of
the light airplane innovations gets built (though not necessarily created)
in Europe.  The so called 100LL has four times the lead as the old 80/87
octane.  The reason they put so much lead in the brew is for detonation, not
lubrication.  We need dedication, a celebration, over education!  Sorry, had
a Jesse Jackson moment.

I've always considered synthetic oil in my autos but I change the oil so
frequently it might not make much difference.

Off to work, solve this issue for me!

Brad