[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic sings!

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Sat Jan 27 13:32:16 EST 2007

Elle,

Trust me, you'll be able to see fine sitting on the cockpit benches.  My
wife is only a tad over five feet and she has no trouble.  You don't
necessarily have to have a 360 degree view of the horizon at ALL times.  For
one thing, you can't see what is blocked from view by the sails no matter
where you sit so once in a while you have to move around and take a peek,
but then you can sit back down and relax.

Have you considered where to sit when the boom is in the lowered
position,the so-called first reef for heavier winds?  Your view to leeward
is more obstructed and even a short person cannot see under the lowered
boom.

My point is of course you have to be vigilant and watchful but unless you're
in heavy traffic you don't have to see everything everywhere all the time.
After all, we're only going 3-6 knots.  What could possibly go wrong?   8-)
I admit I did hit a buoy once sailing alone at night.  What are the odds?

Slim