[Rhodes22-list] speaking of solar panels

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Jan 28 10:42:11 EST 2007

Hadz,

Power consumption meters will do all the calculations for you.  While
they are expensive, they answer a lot of questions, and bring peace of
mind.  They will ultimately save you a lot of money.

Solar panels actually do bring a lot to the party.  The consumption
figures L. and Art are using--which you will see widely used
elsewhere--are incorrect in real life.

The starter motors on large boats draw far more electricity out of
batteries than an equivalent number of LEDs left burning for the same
calculated number of Amp-Hours.

On our boats, motors with starters will put more electricity back into
the battery than they consume.  Solar cells are all that are required to
put electricity back into the batteries for lights, stereos,  and other
incidental uses.  When you are cruising you will inevitably wind up
using your motor a lot.  This will provide plenty of electricity for
auto-pilots and lights.  Should the battery fail, all you need to do is
pull the cord on our little motors to start them--you can't do that with
big boats which is why they factor in so much for idiots--the running
motor will provide the electricity you need for lights/autopilot/and
bringing the batteries back up to fully charged levels.

One battery is all you really need on our boats almost all of the time.
2 batteries are over-kill.  Top them off with solar panels most of the
time.  Get an electric starting motor.  Your batteries should never run
down if they are constantly topped off by solar panels.  Properly
maintained batteries that are never fully discharged will last for more
than 6 years.

Bill Effros