[Rhodes22-list] Peukert's Equation

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Jan 28 21:18:47 EST 2007

Hadz,

All you need is to look at the gauges.  You insert Peukert's exponent
into the gauge, and the gauge calculates the amount of energy used and
remaining.  Because most amp/hour calculations are done at 20 hour
draws, and most of our appliances use far far less amperage, our
appliances will run for many hours longer than the rated capacity of our
batteries.  Because the solar panels are also rated for 20 hour
capacities, they return much more electricity to our batteries than
their ratings would indicate.  The solar panels installed by the factory
are extremely useful and properly sized for our boats.  They are not big
enough to pose an overloading threat.

I like wet cells in my boat because I sail upright and have no problem
with leakage, and because they can be charged to very high voltages
without fear of damage to the battery.  My batteries generally carry
charges in excess of 14 volts.  When they consistently go below 13 volts
it is time for me to change them.  They always have enough power to
start my motor, and to run the large subwoofer that is constantly
running when I'm on my boat.

Constantly maintaining very high voltages on my batteries extends their
useful life.  I am sure I could push it past 6 years, but what's the
point?  I use the least expensive batteries.  They cost $10 a year.
They are totally reliable.  I can see their internal state with the push
of a button.

Bill Effros