[Rhodes22-list] Katrina Update

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 20:32:20 EST 2007

Brad,

If FEMA, or anyone in the govt (e.g CoE). aren’t going to do shit - to use
your terminology - it would be helpful for them to tell your buddies in the
private sector.  At least your private sector buddies could plan and  execute
their own plans.

The public system can work, but somebody has to lead it and make it  work.
Like any large bureaucracy, if nobody cares it’s business as  usual.  The
leader to make it happen doesn’t have to be Bush, but it has to  be someone with
authority and responsibility to make it happen.  Who is  that leader?  Has Bush
appointed a special representative?  I don’t  think so.  Leadership out of
FEMA?  DHS?  CoE?  You wonder  why they are all working at cross purposes?  Has
it occurred to anyone in  the Administration that focused leadership, planning,
funding, and execution are  necessary to make it happen?

Actually, it might be a great job for Cheney to take on.  I think he  could
do it and it would give him some positive visibility and bring him  credit.

Dave