[Rhodes22-list] Katrina Update

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:06:37 EST 2007

Dave,

NOLA is a different beast, we're not there, and I don't know what they
need.  The Mississippi Coast needs the money that has already been
appropriated by Congress to be spent.  The locals can figure out what they
need and when they need it. The last thing they need is another layer of
bureaucracy at the federal level directing things.  FEMA is tasked with
taking care of immediate needs in the aftermath of a disaster - they did
that.  Now go home! The tax provisions of the Gulf Opportunity Zone Act (GO
Zone) are working and private developers are beginning new housing
projects.  The problem in a nutshell is that no one, private citizen or
local government, is going to spend one nickel if they thing some federal
agency is going to pick up the tab. We face that issue every day. My
solution is real simple, either give the money directly to the State of
Mississippi and wish them luck or announce that there is no money and you're
on your own.  Either way, things will happen faster than they are now.
Maybe Cheney or some other czar could make things happen faster, but do we
really want another overbearing federal response to what is basically a
local problem?  Should the feds be tasked with snow removal for the next
blizzard?

I don't have the time to get into the nuances of your BDS (Bush Derangement
Syndrome).  W is no fiscal conservative and that has gotten him in trouble
with the conservative wing of the party.  Liberals everywhere should rejoice
over his spending habits.  I'll vote for whatever candidate, black/white,
male/female, Dem/GOP, etc. that has the guts to face the populace and say,
"you are all big people, we'll ask for as little of your money as possible
and trust that you know best how to spend what you're allowed to keep.  I'll
stay focused on the big things and you take responsibility for your day to
day needs."

It won't happen!

Brad