[Rhodes22-list] GPS/Depth Sounder Questions

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:03:17 EDT 2007

We're getting ready for a San Juan Islands trip in August and need to get
set up with GPS and depth sounder.  I have two questions for the list:

1.  Has anyone had success mounting a GPS unit on a swivel arm, either on
the stern rail or on the transom?  I'm considering a swivel arm that would
stay on the stern rail and the unit could be turned to face either Captain's
chair.  The unit would have to be removable with wing nuts or something like
that.  I've got 12V power in the cockpit through the laz, so that part would
be easy.

2.  Has anyone had any recent experience with the in-hull (puck-shape) style
of depth sounder transducer?  I have this aversion to drilling holes in my
boat (hence the jury rig above), and don't want to have to pull the boat out
of the water if that can be avoided.  I'm wondering about the possibility of
an in-hull transducer in the lazerette just to the side of the keel area.
They were skeptical at West Marine, but they don't understand the flatter
hull design of our boat.

I have a hand-held depth sounder which I could still use if needed - have
never had the need and have been lucky enough not to find a bottom... but
that won't last.  Could also use a hand-held GPS but the display on the
fixed mount GPS units is sooooo much better and there is much more data
available.  Am thinking that I really should have a chart plotter when
venturing into Puget Sound and the San Juans.

Any recent experiences and perspectives will be appreciated, as always.

Dave B