[Rhodes22-list] Press 1 for English (Humor, Joke) for Brad

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:28:42 EDT 2007

Mike,

That was great!.  I'm waiting for our 14 year-old Chinese babysitter to show
up any minute so I can hang-up my apron and go teach a class.  She's been
here 3 years, on the honor roll, and just won an English prize before school
was out.  Youth does help.  A quick story before she arrives:  when Fan
first arrived in the States she knew just enough English to pass the TOFL
exam.  She worked for a couple of weeks at a Chinese restaurant in Memphis
(illegally) until her graduate student stipend started (you were only
allowed to leave China with $50 US then).  A customer got frustrated with
her because Fan couldn't understand his Southern variety of English.

Customer: "You don't speak English, do you sweetie?"

Fan: "I speak English good, I don't speak whatever language you speak!"

Brad