[Rhodes22-list] Question for Brad about Iraq Information (political)

Herb Parsons HParsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Jul 10 16:50:07 EDT 2007

I too like going back to the civil war and pointing out the things that our great leader of the time did. The press of THAT day tried to vilify Lincoln's actions, but they (the press), was not as strong then as they are today, and the masses to which they speak were stronger back then than they are now.

If President Bush had done a fraction of the "executive office" actions that Lincoln did, he'd have already been impeached. That's because the people of today's society are not willing to do what it takes to win a war. They'd rather look back wistfully at those that WERE willing to do so, and speak of their greatness.

It's much easier to speak of the greatness of others in the past, than it is to muster up the intestinal fortitude it takes to approach that greatness.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com> 7/10/2007 2:36 PM >>>
Herb,

The first "Battle of Bull Run" or the "First Battle of Manassas" was
supposed to be the defining battle of our Civil War. It wasn't that much
unlike our "shock-and-awe" campaign.  It was but the first in a long war to
see who had the staying power behind their ideas.  Slavery or  States Rights
versus status quo?  You pick and choose 126 years later.  Both sides thought
it would be the defining battle and all would be over soon.  We carry $5
bills with Abe's picture on it because he saw through the next 4 years of
bloodletting, and believed in the idea of a better and united Union. Abe was
right! Our current enemy doesn't wear uniforms. They embrace death with the
same passion that we embrace life.  It is no longer a factor of whose world
view is best, we don't get to discuss this, they aren't in the mood to
negotiate.  We have been here before.  The Chinese took care of their Muslim
problem in 1258.  We did it again under President Jefferson.  The Chinese
don't fool with it real time anymore (don't ask me how I know this other
than I have family in high political positions who don't deal with it in
real time).  I don't have the solution for our country and neither do you.
However, comma, name one point in history when negotiating with terrorists
or conquerors (and especially conquerors from the Islam faith) paid
dividends!

Brad