[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising system

David Huckabee huckabee_david at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 18:08:39 EDT 2007

Dear List Members

    I sent the following question to Stan because he sold me a new mast raising system in the summer of 05.  Even though I've posed these questions to the expert, I'm appealing to the list to find out if the problems I've experienced are unique to my boat, or perhaps that I'm not bright enough to see what I'm doing wrong.

      I didn't use the system at the end of the season in 05, or 06 because I had a local yard here in Maine step the mast.

      I've been experimenting with the mast raising system in my driveway to get familiar with it before I try it at the launching ramp and I have run into two problems.

      The first, I think I solved.  When I tried to connect mast to the mast step, with the mast leaning into the crutch, I found that the top of the mast step slot did not go up high enough.  What was happening was the gray plastic fitting that connects the pop top to the slider in the mast was preventing the mast from lowering enough so I could connect the bolt through the mast step and the mast.  I think I solved the problem by removing the gray fitting from the pop top.  Instead, is the fitting supposed to fit into the slot in the mast?  I probably file it a little to fit (removing about 1/8") but I'd think the sail would prevent the fitting from going into the slot enough so I could reach the mast step.  Or are more modern mast steps taller?  Mine is about 4 1/8" tall with the top of the slot about 3 1/2" off the deck.

      I ask this question because maybe I created my second problem by removing the gray fitting.  Without the gray fitting, the mast fits into the mast step with enough play so the bolt can be connected.  The mast crane will easily raise or lower (with some extra help at the beginning) the mast.  The extra help is needed because reversing the crank causes it to unscrew (only compressing spring) unless you "help" the process start by turning the drum by hand to get the process started.

      The real problem is that the base of the mast binds over the two rear screws securing the mast step.  I didn't realize this was happening until I asked my wife to watch what was causing the loud popping noise when the mast was nearly vertical, or when it passed the same point while being lowered.  This has caused the aluminum to deform so the sliders cannot be removed from the mast without some filing after straightening out the damage.

      Is there a solution to this problem without filing the rear 3/8 " or so from the bottom of the tracks so they miss the mast step screws?

      Any and all solutions would be appreciated.