[Rhodes22-list] Paying Stan (GB) for his knowlege on solarpanels

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Wed Jul 11 23:14:48 EDT 2007

Well said Stan!!
Dr. Alan Robertson
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: stan<mailto:stan at rhodes22.com>
  To: The Rhodes 22 mail list<mailto:rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
  Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Paying Stan (GB) for his knowlege on solarpanels

  Michael,

      Your kind words prompt me to take the time to help you a bit further
  with the Triad issue:

      If you are not in business I suppose I should not find it so hard to see
  why you feel it is proper for a sub-contractor to be the one to set the
  retail price instead of the prime contractor.  I just took it for granted
  that everyone understands that it is the ultimate seller that sets the
  selling price, not the various suppliers.  If it were otherwise you could
  have bought a Rhodes from us based on a price set by sub contractor Columbia
  Fiberglass, also in CT, when they built boats for us.  Why doesn't it work
  that way in the world of business?   Because the sub-contractor does not
  know what the ultimate cost really is.  The sub-contractor has covered his
  cost and profit but has he then also covered the sellers costs: freight, the
  cost of handling and hoists, assembling, repairing manufacturing faults to
  say nothing about the costs of creating a market (showing at boat shows,
  printing promotional materials, mailings, phone calls questions) or
  promotional discounts already accounted for within package sales pricing?

      But this is just the obvious.  You seem to also raise the question why
  shouldn't the sub-contractor have the right to also sell the product?    And
  in fact, Columbia Fiberglass also woke up one morning and unilaterally
  decide why shouldn't they have the right to also sell our boat direct.  A
  federal court corrected them.

      Triad did not decide one day to design and build a trailer for Rhodes
  sailboats and then ask us if we would like to be one of their customers.
  They did not stand in the water in the middle of the night at the Hollywood,
  FL boat ramp to work out a new kind of trailer design that would make
  launching and retrieving a Rhodes easier than was possible with their
  trailers.  They did not overturn the conventional wisdom of pulling up the
  center board before getting onto a trailer to lowering the board before
  going on the trailer and then redesign trailers to accommodate this obverse
  thinking.   We handed Triad our ideas on a platter as a gift in exchange for
  their building a trailer to our design at the best price they could.  Triad
  are not sailors.  Triad has never used a Rhodes trailer.  Triad has no
  ongoing program that keeps fine tuning the design for things like adjusting
  the axle location as the weight of the Rhodes has varied over the years - we
  do that.
      We helped the two Triad founders (now both deceased) get started with
  our design help and our cash orders.  New management understood our business
  relationship and followed the policy of simply turning all inquires over to
  us to process.  An apparently expanded management has, without consultation,
  decided they would now not only set the price the trailer should be sold for
  to our buyers but also is now deciding what our profit should be  - all with
  no knowledge of our long term, immediate or ongoing costs in selling these
  trailers; an amateurish business decision that now published to our future
  buyers would force us to sell a product at a price that does not cover our
  cost.   You would be mad at us for letting such treatment by
  sub-contractors, close our doors.  We would be labeled poor business people
  if we did not get off our butt and find other contractors willing to play by
  business rules.  And, if we did elect to stay with Triad's altered business
  relationship and calm ourselves by hereinafter considering our selling the
  Triad trailer as a loss leader, we certainly would no longer be motivated to
  keep wondering how we can make "their" Rhodes trailers even better.

      Michael, I can go on pointing out many other business element supports
  for our position but I think you may be beginning to get the idea and it is
  2 AM and I have other projects to get to that will more directly help meet
  his week's payroll.

  ss

  PS:  Rose has hit the send button with a vengeance.