[Rhodes22-list] 757 Bird Strike

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:27:53 EDT 2007

Hank,

Indeed it was handled nicely.  No one gets by without getting pinged on at
least one thing.  As a matter of technique, I teach students to remain on
the runway until the fire department has confirmed that no fires are present
via visual inspection and infrared equipment.  Once on a taxiway, emergency
equipment has to leave the hard surface, and that may be troublesome
depending on the weather.  Second, I wouldn't advise emergency equipment to
get anywhere near the tires if indeed they used max braking.  Now if those
pilots ever read this they'll probably tell me to "go to hell!"  That's OK
too.  Any flight where you can re-use the equipment is a good one. BTW, I
had an engine fire taxiing out at EWR two years ago, but we don't want to
and won't get into that.  No matter what decisions you make, you'll get
second guessed.

Nice work boys!

Brad