[Rhodes22-list] Economics - More Good News

Foy, Warren Warren.Foy at masonandhanger.com
Sat Jul 14 11:58:46 EDT 2007

Brad,

Why is so much of the national debt held by China and why does the
Federal Government allow this to happen? (honest question, I don't
know).

You mentioned in a previous post yesterday the apparent good economic
news and rise of the S&P and workers 401k's.  Yes, I checked mine this
morning and all of the funds I am investing in are at record highs as
well as many of the individual companies I am invested in - I love it!
(for today): (maybe, as the current funds going into these funds are
purchasing fewer shares).

(I'll pause for L.Sailor (Elle) - Do I use too much punctuation?)

However, I remain concerned that because of political and terrorism
issues, the growth of the market is not sustainable.  I am young enough
(though not necessarily young, 47 with 20 or so years to retirement
(maybe them I can purchase a Rhodes 22)) that I feel that my 401k
retirement account can bridge more than one more significant market
corrections due to (political/terrorism/Mr. Market/ whatever).

I know I am rambling but my primary question (not necessarily to you but
to the list) is, why don't Americans absorb the national debt ourselves
rather than allow it to go to other countries?  Aren't we the wealthiest
nation the world?  I think that the simple answer is the lack of
confidence in the administrations, whether it was Bush, Clinton, Bush or
however far back you want to go, and a thought that the stock market
(whether American or International) will provide a better return, which
is probably (no definitely) true.

I my opinion, the typical American individual and companies view that a
potential lower overall return of investment in the United States of
America (via Saving Bonds or Treasury Bills), is super ceded by the
perception of a potential additional rate of return by investing in the
markets.  In short, I think that greed rules over national pride and
provision of national security.

Simi related question - Why do so many Americans look for ways to spend
money to save on taxes?  I know people who have effectively blown
thousands of dollars to keep from paying a couple of hundred in Federal
taxes?  (I do understand that it is potentially better for the overall
economy).

Sorry for the long rant, I've got work to do and I can't go sailing as
Rummy has my boat.  How is the boat Rummy?

Warren Foy