[Rhodes22-list] Question for Brad about Iraq Information(political)

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 18:10:26 EDT 2007

germany after ww1 couldn't live up to agreements it signed to end the war either.  even wilson thought the terms were too harsh and would cause trouble later. he would have addressed it if he had lived. the allies would probably have reformed the terms if they had not been preoccupied with the russian revolution. they favored looking the other way when germany started to recover because they thought europe would need to face the soviets united against the eastern threat. miscalculations are always rampant in war...

Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:   John,

We'll get to religion in a minute. As you may recall about WW2, Patton was
criticized for keeping units of the Wehrmacht intact and putting former
Nazis in key positions of municipal leadership. One (of thousands) of the
events not anticipated in Iraq was that the Republican Guard wouldn't stand
and fight, but fade into the general population to fight another day. Not
putting former Baathists in leadership positions was another error.
Whatever the post-Saddam plan was, it was either seriously wrong, poorly
executed, or both. The shipment of higher grade explosives from Iran for
IED's wasn't anticipated or stopped. Sealing the borders should have been
priority one. I think if we've learned anything militarily from this
engagement it would be this: one hundred thousand of our troops can take on
anyone, anywhere. Winning a war is easy given our superiority, winning the
peace requires a massive amount of "boots on the ground". If you read
Petraeus's COIN manual (only 200+ pages, you can do it!) you recognize many
of our mistakes. Stable government follows stable living conditions. We
didn't meet that challenge for the first four years and the errors are so
numerous I'm not going to spend the time outlining them. The surge is
showing much progress but that isn't being reported. You have to go outside
the MSM using some of the sources I've already posted on the list to stay
abreast of current developments.

Let's talk politics briefly. The initial invasion of Iraq had bi-partisan
support in the Congress. In fact, the decision to take out Saddam was an
extension of the Clinton Administration "regime change" policy. If you read
Jeane Kirkpatrick's last book, published after she died early this year, she
makes the case for the legality of the invasion and why our European allies
didn't join the fight (financial self interests). Saddam never met the
agreements he signed to end hostilities at the end of the Gulf War. The WMD
argument was certainly the most effective selling point, but the failure to
comply with a dozen other UN resolutions made a good argument as well. BTW,
Kirkpatrick wasn't a supporter of the invasion. Someone on this thread
discussed 'national interests' (probably Dave, I'm too lazy to research
it). I personally questioned whether our national interests were at stake
in Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia-Hergegovina, and Kosovo during the 90's. But once
the decision was made by the Commander-in-Chief, I wanted our troops to be
successful in their mission. My personal dislike of the Commander is
immaterial. Such is not the case today with the war's detractors. If they
could stifle their BDS for one minute and look at the stakes, the situation
looks much different.

There is a reformation taking place in Islam worldwide and the bad guys are
winning at the moment. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread (probably
Dave again) the Saudi's started this by funding and exporting Wahhabism. All
fundamental religions prey on the misfortune and fears of their converts.
Not only does Iraq need to put radical Islam to bed, all of the Muslim world
needs to redefine their interpretation of the Koran to join the modern
world. If you study the rise of the muijahideen in Afghanastan (start with
"Charlie Wilson's War, soon to made in a movie) you can see why a retreat
from Iraq will only embolden al-Queada. Welcome to the 21st century of
religious wars, not unlike the 7th. We're not going to charm these people
to our way of reasoning. Surrendering Iraq to them just when we're seeing
improvement is certainly not the answer.

Brad