[Rhodes22-list] DOB Drill

Foy, Warren Warren.Foy at masonandhanger.com
Wed Jul 18 09:36:33 EDT 2007

A little anecdote concerning DOB:

In the 80's, I had a large Siberian Husky.  He was a lean, mean 100
pounds in his prime.

My parents have had a houseboat on Lake Cumberland, KY since the
mid-sixties and one weekend, Nanook and I went to the boat to spend the
weekend with my parents.  We took the boat out to tie up in a cove.  We
tied up with a 500' line with an end on each side of the cove such that
with some slack, I would guess the cove width to be about 400-450'.
When we pulled the boat up to the first side, I jumped out to tie the
line and Nanook jumped out onto the bank with me.  He wouldn't
immediately come back, so we decided to push back, tie to the other side
and I would come back to get him after we had finished.

As we pushed back, he decided to follow us.  He got about half-way
across and turned back as dogs often do.  I called to him from the back
of the boat and he turned back around and continued toward us.  Once we
got to the other side of the cove, I again jumped onto the bank, which
was much steeper, and tied the second end of the line, then swam to help
Nanook get to the bank.  He made it just fine, but then I was in the
predicament of having to get him on the boat.  The bank was too steep
for him to climb to step onboard and I had to military press him (a 100
pound, heavily furred, soaking wet dog) over my head to get him on to
the boat.

Once I got him onboard, he shook of 20 pounds or so of water and hair
all over the boat and within minutes, laid down exhausted, went to sleep
and slept for hours.

Warren

Rob Lowe wrote:

> Well, we finally had our first DOB drill on Saturday.  Turned out it
went
> pretty close to how we had discussed it prior to an actual drill.
>
> Out Saturday with the two dogs on a nice sailing day.  Still working
on
> fixing a pulled stay so only had the main up but were having a nice
sail.
> While sailing, had the doggie life vests on the dogs.  The dogs,
> especially the smaller one, clamber around between the cockpit and the
bow
> of the boat and we figured it was only a matter of time before one
goes
> over.
>
> We finished up sailing, dropped and stowed the main, and we motoring
> around in a protected cove looking at houses.  Since we were no longer
> under sail, we took the jackets off the dogs since it was hot and they
> really don't care for them.  Then if happened, the smaller dog was
trying
> to turn about while on the coaming and slipped.  We have our first
DOB.

> First time this dog has been in the water and the admiral is a bit
> concerned.  "What if he can't swim?".  Well, he pops up and seems to
be
> swimming just fine.  I'm piloting the boat and start my figure 8 turn
> come back and pick up the guy.  Now the admiral is really worried.
"Jump