[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Just Bent about weather helm

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Jul 18 11:41:42 EDT 2007

Hank wrote:
> I think that is just coincidence.  A non-flared side boat will do the same.
> On 7/18/07, Just bent <j.bulfer at jbtek.com> wrote:
> > my flared sides were in the water. It seemed as though as soon as they go
> > under water, you turn to weather.

I agree w/ Hank.

Even a hard-chined boat will try to round up when
overpowered on a reach, as long as there is not
too much canvas out forward - that could cause a
lee helm.

But never count on it.  If the thought of a
blow-down even crosses your mind, the main sheet
belongs in your hand.

Heaving to is so easy... if you have to go below.

/Robert