[Rhodes22-list] Topping lift and Spinnaker pole

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Jul 18 11:44:19 EDT 2007

Rory:

I have the pole you describe.  I call that pole a spinnaker pole.  I have a
four foot section of track screwed on the front of the mast with an
adjustable car with a ring to attach poles to.  I have a toping lift about
the location of the one pictured on Roger P.'s boat since that is whose
directions I followed.  I do not have the balanced wire lift seen in his
picture.  I use a single line to the heavy end.  When using that heavy pole
in light winds, it makes the Genoa drag in the water as Jay said unless you
support it with a toping lift.  Captain Rummy is using a thinner whisker
pole, I think, rather than a Spinnaker pole.  If you want to fly a spinnaker
you will need that toping lift and a spinnaker bail with associated toping
lift.  And you should be aware that you can fly a spinnaker without a pole.

When I have the pole attached to ring on the track, I can keep it out of the
way when not in use by using the topping lift to pull it upright.  I only
use this set up in very light winds, usually trying to sail back rather than
motor, so the pole does not flop around much.  There is no end piece on top
of the track so I can take the ring off when trailering.  A permanent ring
has to be placed where it will not interfere with the Genoa when trailering,
maybe that is why Mary Lou's is so low.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum:
Vince's Lombardi's slogan "You don't do things right once in a while.  You
do the right all the time."