[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Just Bent about weather helm

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Wed Jul 18 20:16:26 EDT 2007

JB

I had a similar problem with furling main on mine when delivered, except it
wouldn't furl completely and left a strip of sailcloth exposed outside the
mast slot.  Elton was there to help me figure it out.

With the sail all the way furled (in), look at the drum (extension of the
sail tube) inside the mast and see how many wraps of the black line are on
the drum.  If there are a few, try taking one loop off the drum.  I did it
with the mast up.  You could also drop the mast and slide the furling tube
out.  Directions for this are in the archives.  With the mast up, you  may
need to untie the loop on the black line to pull it through the boom.  I
recall Elton and I removed the boom.  Push the bitter end near the mast to
see which wrap is the last if you need to, then grap the middle of the loop
and pull it out.  This should give you a few extra inches of the black line.
Then thread back through the boom and test.

I had to do the reverse, and add a wrap.  Same idea, but a bit harder
without the proper tools.

Also, for what it's worth, my main furling black line does not have a loop
on the end, just a stopper knot.  Converting the loop to a stopper may also
gain you a few inches.

Good luck.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer