[Rhodes22-list] Genoa 175 vs. 155

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 03:43:21 EDT 2007

david
  thats the kind of message stan loves to read. someone finding out that the design features he built into your boat are appreciated. congrats.

David Culp <daculp at gmail.com> wrote:
  I had posted to the list that I was considering changing out or cutting down
my 175 genoa to a 155 which I thought would be easier to use single-handed
and could be unfurled more often in higher winds thus allowing me to use the
set of tell-tails that are installed for use when the genoa is fully
unfurled. I have been keeping track of my genoa usage and found out a few
more things about the boat in my second year.

First of all, I use the 175 more often then I thought I did. Nearly
everyday, so far this summer. Secondly, I plan my course better so as to
only use it on longer runs where I don't have to tack so often. When I do
tack single-handed, I just over-steer the boat more toward a beam reach
enough to get the sail across. Not as efficient, but better then getting
caught head to wind with the jib hung up. I am using the traveler much more
this year-I find it is helping me leave the 175 out in a little higher winds
by de-powering the main. Leaving the center-board up unless I really need
to point reduces heeling so the 175 can stay out in a little higher wind.
Finally, my boat doesn't have a windex and I had a couple of Davis wind
indicators on the upper shrouds. When I do have to roll in the jib in
higher winds, I was kind of lost as to what the wind was doing because these
shroud indicators didn't seem to give much information and I had no
tell-tails. I got rid of those and went back to using cassette tape like I
had on my other boat. It doesn't look as good but the cassette tape has
helped tremendously because it reacts much more quickly to wind changes and
now I can more readily see my angle to the wind when the jib is rolled in
and no tell-tails are available. The result is less luffing up then I had
been getting before because I can see changes better, anticipate and react
quicker.

Looks like I'll be keeping the 175 after all.

David Culp