[Rhodes22-list] Raising the Mast without a Crane

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 12:38:25 EDT 2007

Hank

Lesson learned the hard way....

The first time I put it in the water I raised it myself per the original
instructions by GB (standard mast).
Went up smoothly until the last few degrees....  that is a lot of weight
above you to push from that close to the fulcrum.  Got it up, but it was
tough.

Then due to circumstances at the moment, I had to get it down by myself.  I
didn't think it would be possible to break that first few degrees and follow
it down with any amount of control, so i used a winch to control the decent
(similar to your helper)  Started off smoothly, but about 60 or 70 degrees
down started to swing quickly to the side..... no time to react, mast ended
up on the ground.    Luckily nothing was parked close enough to be hit, and
the mast survived....   screws pulled out of the cabin top as per SS
design......

up and down is one thing.. stabilization to port and starboard is
critical....

take great care in your efforts, and be safe

Bob M