[Rhodes22-list] Buck Naked - In the beginning...

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jul 19 15:04:57 EDT 2007

Brad -

Odd that you should bring up that story.

(Has everyone got a fresh beer? ...  OK, I'll continue.)

It calls to mind an incident from 40 years ago.  I made a
bet with a young lady about some unforgotten issue as we
were driving south from Bangor on the Maine turnpike.  The
stakes were not defined, and when the issue was resolved,
I had won both the bet and the option to call the stakes.

Being somewhat brash and a bit randy, I said, "You lose
-- take off all your clothes."

(Note that then, as now, there are periodic tool booths
along the Maine turnpike, not the take a ticket - pay as
you exit scheme used in other areas.)

The lady in question, being a game sort of person,
proceeded to do as I had requested... just as signs for
a toll plaza hove into view.  No time to reverse the
process, and my companion stated that the situation was
my problem -- she had no intention of getting dressed.

Nothing for it but to brazen it out.  I drove on.

The person in the toll booth did not turn a hair as I
handed over my 50 cents, and asked if I wanted a receipt.

That's one more reason why I love Maine.  There is
something about the summer air that cries,

              "Clothing Optional!"

/Robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> So Robert, is this what people in Maine do for entertainment?  The lady's
> name is Buck, how appropriate.  Brad
>
> ------------------------------
>
> *Naked Motoring Buys Trouble in Maine*
>
>  <javascript:eMail_Friend(540, 540);> Email this
> Story<javascript:eMail_Friend(540, 540);>
>
> Jul 17, 4:06 PM (ET)
>
>  FRYEBURG, Maine (AP) - Both a naked motorist and her passenger face
> drunken-driving charges following an incident that began with a traffic stop
> for speeding and ended with the passenger behind the wheel during a
> seven-mile chase.
>
> The episode unfolded Sunday night when a police officer stopped a Volvo for
> speeding and discovered that the driver was wearing no clothes.
>
> Because the motorist said she needed to use the bathroom, the officer
> allowed her to follow his cruiser to a campground. Instead, her passenger
> took the wheel and led police on a chase that ended on Main Street in
> Fryeburg, police said.
>
> Douglas H. Litchfield, 59, and Patricia Buck, 61, both of Harrison, were
> charged with drunken driving and driving to endanger, police said.
>
> The pair said they had been in the woods and Buck's clothes had washed away
> in a stream, according to Fryeburg police administrator Ann Perante.
>
> The vehicle was registered in Virginia. Although Litchfield had a suspended
> Maine license, he possessed a valid Virginia license, police said.

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."