[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Just Bent about weather helm

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 20:12:05 EDT 2007

Dang.  No picture.  See the source at
http://www.rhodes22.com/mast_large.html

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Jim Connolly
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:08 PM
To: 'The Rhodes 22 mail list'
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Reply to Just Bent about weather helm

Aft triangle of mainsail is covered with built-in (sewn-on) cover.  Mine is
blue.  See attached photo

Mine furls until leading edge of cover is just inside mast.  Attached
picture shows the sail *almost* all the way in.  What happened here is that
gusty winds caused the sail to flog, the sliding block on the boom moved
aft, the sail flogged more, and wound itself tighter on the furling tube,
causing the sailcloth to be exposed.  That's why I now secure the sliding
block to the front of the boom with tiny bungy cords, but I digress.

I can count the wraps Saturday.  The bottom line is that if you pull the
black line all the way out, the sail should be furled with the cover just
inside the mast If you have all or part of a wrap left on the drum, that is
fine.  Anything more, I think, is wasted. The "blue" line should go through
the block on the clew and be tight against the cam cleat on the boom.  Elton
adjusted mine until the stopper knot was against the cam cleat.  If your
"blue" line is longer, you can just cleat it, and let it dangle, but that
too seems a waste.

I don't think that there is enough room in the mast to pull the sail cover
all the way in, nor do you want to.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer