[Rhodes22-list] Raising the Mast without a Crane

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 20 21:19:53 EDT 2007

John,

Unless you have altered the mast rigging considerably this will not work.  The normal rig for the mast bolt can allow for stepping and unstepping to bow or stern, while yours requires to stern.  You do not want to remove or loosen the mast bolt, maybe take the nut loose.

In raising or lowering the mast, the mainsheet with pulleys can he used for the mechanical advantage necessary to provide force toward the bow.  Stan uses the lower rear stays, attached to the crane, which in turn attaches to the forward cleat.  The same can be accomplished with the stays (or halyard, redundancy suggested) attached to a pole, which is attached to the forward cleat via the pulleys of the mainsheet.  The lateral vertical stability can be insured with similar pulleys and resultant MA on each of the sides.  With your mast rig, you want to keep it moving along so that the bottom plate attached to the mast cannot fatigue and/or fail.

Art