[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane and DC Happy Hour

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 11:28:28 EDT 2007

Slim,

Re attaching that block, thanks, I was afraid that was the right  answer.
It's too bad though.  It would be nice if you didn't have to  drill and mount
that piece.

Re your bail assembly, if you get a chance, would you please post some
picts?  We've got a padeye, maybe 2 padeyes, on the front of the mast, I'd  thought
one of them might be "the bail".  Mary Lou straightened me out  about that. I
don't know what to look for regarding the bail.  A pict would  help a lot.

I didn't realize there was a separate bail kit.  Does it make raising  the
mast much easier than your just using the lower shrouds?  What do you  see as
the tradeoffs?  Is it on your recommended mods list?

Hank, if you don't have that piece mounted on your cabin roof, it looks  like
you will have to drill and mount and then unmount/patch.  Do you still  want
to go with the winch?  It seems to me that given enough people it  ought to be
possible to raise your mast by hand and rope.  A mast crutch  might be useful
to get the mast higher than horizontal to start, but beyond  that, given
enough rope and leverage it seems to me that 3 or 4 people  ought to be able to do
what 1 guy with the winch can do.  I may be missing  something.  Maybe the
get together should be at your marina and we can help  get your mast up.

Dave