[Rhodes22-list] To Bill - Boat Naming

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sun Jul 22 18:30:36 EDT 2007

Bill,

I am following after Slim, and agree with his comments.

This is a very serious topic, one that has stirred debate
over the years between many good sailors, pro and con.  At
issue is whether you should rename your boat without
ceremony.  Some might call boat renaming ceremonies an
"absurd urban myth of a non-tradition", some feel that the
gods of wind and sea must be invoked and satisfied, and
others would regard this as an opportunity for a good party.
Take your choice...

   An Interesting Book:

       How to Rename Your Boat: And 19 Other Useful
       Ceremonies, Superstitions, Prayers, Rituals,
       and Curses (Paperback)
       by John Vigor (Author)
       "One of the most popular articles I ever
       wrote in my thirty years as a journalist was
       about the renaming of boats..

       Quick link to the Amazon site re. the above book:
       http://tinyurl.com/3yedg5

   Links relating to renaming your boat:

       http://www.bitwrangler.com/wt/renaming.shtml

       http://www.bluewatersailing.com/documents/renamingceremony.pdf

       http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

As to the name itself, it is generally safe to use a variant
of your mother's name -- unless your wife is not on good
terms with her.  And, if you are married, I'd stay away from
old girl friend's names...

You could consider naming her (your boat) after the best dog
you ever had -- in hopes that she will treat you like the
master you wish to become.

A phrase from your favorite sport(s) might work, e.g. "Tee
Time" or "Sweet Spot".  "Ten Ring", "Time Out"...

Given the amount of jewelry you will be buying for your boat,
all those expensive shiny items, "The Other Woman" could be
appropriate.

As a last resort, offer a case of beer to your friends and
associates for a winning name.

/Robert