[Rhodes22-list] Expanding Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 15:13:06 EDT 2007

Luis,

Interesting re the dead zones and that it has mapped into Fla  historically.
I know we've been down there (Fla) when  there have been a whole lotta dead
fish on Sarasota beachs and we were  warned not to swim in the water if we had
asthma (why that would matter I don't  know, I try not to breath water when I
swim, strictly air).  I'd be  surprised if red tides or dead zones are good
for tourism - and that spells  big bucks for Fla.

It would be interesting to know to what extent La and Ms pollution affects
Fla via circulation.

The Chesapeake Bay has had a very similar problem with agricultural  runoff.
Fortunately we have an independent non-profit, The Chesapeake  Bay
Foundation, that appears to be successfully suing local governments to  enforce
compliance.  They also work with farmers to find economic ways to  minimize watershed
pollution, and volunteers on the Bay to restock/reseed  species such as
oysters.  It might be a good model for what's needed in  Fla, Ala, Ms, La, and Tx.
I know the Chesapeake Bay Foundation works with  at least Va, Md, Del, and Pa.

You've got a good little oceanographic research aquarium/institute in
Sarasoata, as I recall, just up from the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.  It  would be
interesting to know how they are involved.  They'd be a natural  lead
organization for the State of Fla.

Dave