[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane and DC Happy Hour

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 16:55:18 EDT 2007

Mary Lou,

Thanks again.  I understand the winch leverage arrangement, and I  understand
how the shrouds connect to the winch, and the winch to the foredeck  cleat.
What I don't understand is how the bail is connected to the winch  in lieu of
the shrouds.  Is the bail attached to the winch via a chain with  shackles on
each end?  Or is the bail long enough that  it connects directly to the winch?
Is the bail/winch connection made  with a line with shackles or snap
shackles?  I don't understand the  bail/winch connection.

There must be something spiffy about the bail arrangement, it's sold as a
kit and Slim bought it.  I think the hardest part of using the lower  shrouds is
figuring out which of the many shrouds on your deck are the  right ones to
attach to the winch - not a hard problem.  The bail  must have some compelling
advantage vice using the lower shrouds, it would be  interesting (to me) to
know what it is (or is supposed to be).

I didn't realize pad eye attachments were less strong than bail  attachments,
thanks for that info, you may have saved the pad eye on my  mast.

Dave