[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Dave Lewis about Mast Cranes and Gin Poles

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Jul 23 17:25:57 EDT 2007

Dave,

I do not know why you are pursuing the mast crane topic.  May I suggest an
approach to the subject?

Let me first point out that an objective often can be reached by more than
one method.  Stan has been playing nautical engineer for how long?  Many of
his modifications and fabrications are based on studying how others
accomplish things, like raising masts.

There is a concept of mechanical leverage used with sail boats called gin
poles.  Gin poles are used and described in many places in sailboat mast
raising.  Often the term gin pole is not used, but method described is
really using a variation of the technique.  Sometimes the person describing
the methods believes they have discovered something new.

Bales are used on sailboats for various applications.  Mary Lou did a great
job describing its use with the application under discussion.  A perusal of
your West Marine or Defender catalog might be in order.

My suggestion to you is detailed study of the technical aspects of
sailboats.  Read a few books on sailboat design, gear, features, you know,
the nitty gritty details.  Two good authors come to mind quickly:  John
Vigor and Ted Brewer.

Over the years, others have recommended other authors so a search of the
archives might reveal other good reading sources about sailboat equipment,
gear and construction.  Take a good book to the boat with you next time and
when the winds drop off, think of it as an opportunity to read a little.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA