[Rhodes22-list] Expanding Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico - some ideas

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Jul 23 19:29:54 EDT 2007

DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> Re the red tide: Seems strange to me that the population of alge that  causes
> the red tide could simply take off without a lot of some sort of  nutrient.
> Clearly, it takes more of something for the little buggers  to “bloom”,
> whatever the “it” is, let’s call it a nutrient.  But it may  well not be “man made
> ”...

Two theories may be useful if you really want to dig into this.

The first is "swarm theory".  It describes group activity such
as bird flocking during migration, or schools of fish wheeling
and turning together.

The second relates to chemical communication between basic
life forms.  It may be that when populations reach a certain
point, the concentrations of an "I am here" messenger molecule
hit a critical value, and there is a non-linear change in
behavior.

/Robert