[Rhodes22-list] Quiet list (political)

Herb Parsons HParsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Jul 24 05:48:44 EDT 2007

Originally, the candidate with the second largest amount of electoral votes became Vice President. That changed in 1804. In most elections since then, it's been a practice to choose a VP running mate that will do as you say, "sway the other part of the country". But that's not a new practice, done pretty regularly for a couple hundred years now.

I think it's a perfect example of "playing politics". Ideally, the man selected to "replace" the President should be a man of similar-mindedness; but that's not what usually happens. Usually, it's someone that's at the other end of one spectrum or another. As you said, to provide a balance that will pull in other voters. I think one of the most obvious example was Kennedy and Johnson running together in 1960.

It's ironic that you would use Bush Cheney as an example. This was one of those cases where the candidate and his running mate were more similar than different. Both had lived in Texas for much of their adult lives (Cheney changed his residency so it wouldn't be two "Texans" running together), both were rich businessmen, both were pretty staunch conservatives, though Cheney more so.

The important thing here though, is that the only "powers" the VP has is to preside over the senate, vote in case of a tie, and take over for the President if/when necessary. All the other powers he holds are those given to him by the President. Cheney is by far one of the most powerful VP's we've had (not counting one being "powerful" by ascending to the Presidency); but that's because President Bush has chosen to make him so. The next holder of the office may, or may not, enjoy the same privileges.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> john Belanger <jhnblngr at yahoo.com> 7/23/2007 11:21 PM >>>
well my understanding of at least one of the criteria for a vp has been to help sway the "other " section of the country to support the ticket. lbj comes to mind. i think cheney, as he has been a more "active" vp, has cast the vp as much more of a potential asset to the sitting president than ever before. truman was almost invisible before fdr's death. so in summary, the presidential candidate now will have a much different kind of applicant willing to volunteer to serve. the job is no longer seen as a boring, dead end job.

Herb Parsons <HParsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:  I'm confused by this statement John:

"pres candidates have to be a lot more carefull about who they decide should be their running mate"

What has changed? Are you implying that President Bush somehow regrets his decision on a running mate? If so, why do you think that. VP Cheney has no more "extra powers" than what President Bush has given him.

That will be the way things are in the next go 'round as well, unless congress makes some drastic changes.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> john Belanger 7/23/2007 12:49 PM >>>
you know cheney has done wonders for the office of vp. noone ever wanted to be vp. now it might have a very big attraction. also pres candidates have to be a lot more carefull about who they decide should be their running mate. maybe we should tie the two together earlier in the campaign so the voters can get a better idea of just how invisible the future vp might or might not be.

Robert Skinner wrote: Herb Parsons wrote:
> Actually, this isn't the first time that Cheny's temporarily held the office.
> Bt then, those folks that seem to be such experts in all things political already knew that, right?
> Herb Parsons

Watch your spelling, Herb, we have enough pretenders to the office already!

/Robert