[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard hauling line

George Carpenter geocarp3 at mchsi.com
Fri Jun 1 12:32:46 EDT 2007

My Rhodes 22 launching last Friday at the marina at Iowa lake Red
Rock, where I maintain a slip, had some challenges due to recent
flooding in the area. As a result the ramp itself was some 20'
underwater and the actual launching took place further up the drive
at, of course, a reduced angle of entree. The boat wouldn't release
from the trailer and further inspection showed the centerboard to be
2-3" below the keel-well and catching on the trailer frame...and I
couldn't pull it higher. After enlisting the aid of the marina
tractor operator to get me in deeper (the exhaust on my SUV was
already bubbling) I was finally able to bump-and-bang off the trailer
and motor uneventfully to my slip. Once secured I tried the cb and it
appeared to be stuck.  However, a dive below showed that in fact it
was all the way down and the hauling line and attending pulleys had
broken off...as well as some damage to the fiberglass on the bottom
of the cb. I e-mailed the COMMODORE for how-to-repair instruction and
received a series of immediate replies to my query and follow-ups (I
accused Stan of playing Ann Landers all holiday weekend to his Rhodie
disciples).  He provided two options: one to reinstall the former 4:1
purchase system and the other to drill a hole in the aft edge of the
cb near the bottom and run a direct hauling line back into the
cockpit. Although making it a heavier lift I'm attracted to this
simplicity. Has anyone out there had experience with this method I
can go to school on?

	George