[Rhodes22-list] Aft stay pulled loose

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Jun 6 10:39:54 EDT 2007

At 09:47 AM 6/6/2007 -0400, Rob Lowe wrote:
>Speaking of aft stays, but the boat in the water last week and got
>on her yesterday evening for a trial sail.  I noticed my aft inner
>stay was loose.  closer inspection determined it appears the chain
>plate has pulled out of the cabin top, perhaps an inch of so.  don't
>know if raising the mast last week is related, but could very well
>be.  A perhaps 1/4" hole was visible on the chain plate that's not
>normally visible.  An inspection from in the cabin didn't help much
>as it's mounted above the cabin liner.  I didn't put sails up
>because I didn't want to stress the rigging until I get this
>fixed.  Can't say I've seen this on the list before, any help out
>there?  sorry, don't have a photo of it right now but will get one
>next time I visit the boat.  thanks - rob

Rob, I have the same problem on Pandion on both port-side inner
stays.  But it doesn't seem to affect rigging integrity (yet).  I
have sealed the gap to keep water out and tried to re-bed the plate
as best I could.  Since I can't see up in under the cabin where the
chainplates are attached, I don't know what the underside hardware is
supposed to look like.  But my initial take on it is that major
stress in the past (possibly from mast raising going crooked) hass
pulled the inside plates up into the core of the deck.  I have been
sailing like that without indication of further loosening or any
signs of failure so far.  But it may be one of those things that
gives no warning before it pulls all the way thru the cabin roof.... kapow!

Hopefully, others familiar with the internals of the chainplate
attachment can suggest better ideas.  I'm just taking a WAG here.

Cheers!

John Lock