[Rhodes22-list] HR 27 ***IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ***

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Tue Jun 12 10:32:55 EDT 2007

I have been off the list for awhile, but have not been idle.  I have
just returned from Edenton, NC where I spent the better part of a day
with Stan discussing the prospects for the new 27 footer.  I even got to
take a look at the prototype hull.  Here is what I took away from what
was a wonderful visit with a very wise man:

1)       There are a lot of us out there that are enamored with the idea
of being involved in the boat building business.

2)       There are a lot of us out there that don't have the time, or
are not willing to make the financial and lifestyle sacrifices to
dedicate ourselves to the task of boatbuilding; especially the
development of a brand new product.

3)       There are a lot of us out there that would like to see this
boat built.

4)       Many of us out there have some money that we are willing to put
up for seed capital.

5)       Stan's plate is full.  He is full of new innovative ideas, but
his time is totally consumed with the Rhodes22.  And I do mean totally
consumed.  Stan shared many new concepts with me, but taking them from
an idea to a product takes time and effort.  Stan just does not have it
in him to take them forward.  The Rhodes22 is his baby, and he is
content with focusing all of his efforts on it.  In short, Stan has a
wealth of institutional knowledge that he is willing to bestow on this
project...just not the time to manage the project.

6)       That said, Stan is eager to see the HR27 off the ground, but is
perplexed as to what the next steps should be.  He has a great deal of
faith in the collective knowledge and experience of Rhodes22 owners and
feels that combining this knowledge could create a wonderful new
boat...but how?

As we concluded our visit, it became clear that we, the owners group,
must come together if we really want a new 27 foot boat built with the
same innovative characteristics as the Rhodes22; a boat designed with
the input of Stan and the collective knowledge and experience of
Rhodes22 owners.  It also became clear that someone will need to step
forward to manage the overall project; someone with time on their hands
and the ability to spend a lot of time in Edenton, NC.  To that end,
Stan is meeting with someone next week that might fill that role.  We
will have to wait to hear from Stan on that one.

In the meantime, the obvious next step is for interested parties to
meet, face to face, with the purpose of generating some momentum and
formulating a plan of action on how to get this project off the ground
(or in the water, so to speak).  Again, Stan doesn't have the time or
inclination to coordinate this event.  So my homework assignment from
Stan is to take a stab at scheduling such a meeting.

So....which of you is interested in attending this meeting?  Let me know
who you are and where you are located, and if you are willing to make
the commitment to get together.  Based on the response, we will set the
location and date.  Please respond back to the list, or you can contact
me directly at wewickman at spectraenergy.com .

On another entirely different note, Stan is too polite to mention this
to most, but much of his time is spent taking phone calls from people
seeking free advice.  It's not that he minds talking to people; it is
just that many of these people don't bring their business to him.  So,
if you need help from Stan (and he is always willing to give it) and you
occupy a fair amount of his time, you might want to consider sending him
a gratuity.  Also, to the extent that you need parts, etc., try Stan
first.  He might have a used part for much less than new, or if you buy
new then the sales will help keep him in business.

And on a final note...the General Boat Hilton looks great!  Stan has
bought some new furniture and fixed up the bathroom.

Sincerely,

Bill Wickman (aka Bahamas Bill)