[Rhodes22-list] Going green

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jun 19 13:57:15 EDT 2007

Rummy,

While I do not share your enthusiam for E85, I also have been very
pleasantly surprised by the new energy saver compact fluorescents.

I purchased 3 packages of 8 bulbs each at Costco for $3.19/pkg ($11.19 less
$8 LIPA instant rebate).  That's $0.40 per bulb, a no-brainer experiment.
These are the Philips Marathon60 (see attached photo) type rated at 13W, 900
lumens, 2700K, 10,000 hours to replace 60W incandescents.  They do not dim
nor can they be controlled (just on-off) by my X-10 unit (unless I use an
appliance module).  Other than that, I found them great.  My first use was
in a 3 lamp (3 x 60W) overhead bathroom fixture.  I think that the
replacements (3 x 13W = 42W) provide MORE light, after a 30-45 second warmup
period, than the originals.  The color is very warm, not the blue-white cast
of a tube style fluorescent.

I went back to Costco this past week to purchase the 100W and flood lamp
replacements.  To date, I have not tried them out.

I recommend trying some when priced appropriately.

You may also be interested in a good discussion at:
http://www.execulink.com/~impact/fluorescent_lights.htm

and a review by Pop Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/4215199.html?series=15

I am all for saving energy, as long as the savings do not come out of my
pocket.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY