[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Alan

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Thu Jun 21 11:08:50 EDT 2007

Home port is Bolton Landing on NY's 30 mile long historic Lake George. For Lake description read "The Last of the Mohican's " by James Fenimore Cooper; northern part hasn't changed too much since then (1750's).
Boat is an '83 which Stan and Rose trailered up here in 8/83 from Long Island NY works. We camp out on State Park islands in the lake. Rhodes shallow draft makes docking at these locations ideal. Adding custom cut 4" think foam rubber to double cabin bunk makes sleeping extremely comfortable. This was a wise alternate to buying a Summer cottage on the Lake back then. Stan had large framed poster-picture of our boat in Edenton office until it faded.

Sorry, can't download your attachment.

Question? Pictures on web show boat underway with pop-top up. How is this accomplished without snagging the boom as main is changed from port to starboard?

P. S. We are Senior seniors and I'm proud of wif'e's boat sailing skills.
 Son sailed on U. of Penn sailing team in 70s and when he takes Rhodes out on a 20 knot reach can take anything 25' and under, on the lake except a J-24. If handled adroitly, Rhodes can be sailed as a semi-performance boat rather than a cruising one. Requires a 15-20 degree heel and plenty of human ballast on the windward side.