[Rhodes22-list] Going green

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:59:04 EDT 2007

Robert,

Nuclear waste is a problem.  Frankly, I think CO2 emissions are overblown as
a cause of global warming, but walk around LA or Beijing and you're a fool
if you don't recognize that emissions of internal combustion engines and
other sources of CO2 is a problem.  The US solution to nuclear waste is to
"deep six" spent fuel two miles underground.  The opponents cite such things
as "they will still be there ten thousand years from now and we don't even
know what language to print the warning signs in", etc.  Give me a break, we
Americans live like we are the only people on the planet.  The Chinese don't
give a rat's ass, they'll adopt the cheapest and most convenient energy
source available, same with India, neither of which would have been bound by
Kyoto.  That doesn't mean we're bound to the "law of the commons" rule, we
all have a responsibility for our planet, but dammit, the US population is
hardly the only problem on the globe.  Yeah, we're the energy hogs but we
are also the most productive users of energy (measured by GNP per energy
use).  Look at the numbers and the growth rate of energy users in third
world countries.  This is 6th grade science.  If we went back to horsepower
we US citizens couldn't save the world.  All energy is solar energy, the
only issue is how old is the sunshine.  Nuclear is artificial sunshine.
Disposal is an issue but one that is way overblown.  Fossil fuels (at least
oil deposits) have been distributed in a very unfriendly pattern to Western
society and democracy.  If you believe in global warming, we need to wean
ourselves off of oil and coal anyway. The founder of Greenpeace has left the
organization and  endorsed nukes.  The logic of the opponents can only fail
given the alternatives.  Our children's grandchildren will be living off of
nuclear power or donkey shit, very similar to the mule shit  our
grandfathers knew.

Brad