[Rhodes22-list] Salty Dog

benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Tue Jun 26 13:38:04 EDT 2007

Lee,

Your lab will LOVE being on a boat.  Like a beagle loves to chase small animals
or a racehorse loves to run the track, he's got a thousand years of breeding
telling him that there's nothing better in the world to being on the water.

I would love to have one of the dogs that I see (usually labs) charge up and down
the deck in a rough lake without it looking like it's any effort at all.  We
almost always bring our two dogs (beagle and basset hound) sailing.  They seem to
enjoy it, but like you allude, it's hard to know whether they enjoy the ride, or
just being with their humans.

(Attached is my favorite photo of the two of them aboard.  It's a great
illustation of the difference in their personalities.  The big one's a lap dog,
the little one's a captain.)

Getting an overboard lab back on board might be more of a problem.  I have seen
them climb swim ladders, but I think I would want to train at the dock to see if
he catches on.  Hoisting a big wet dog aboard doesn't sound much fun.  I guess
worst case you could leave the dog in a harness, connect him to your topping
lift, and use the winches to haul him up if you had to.

Ben

On Tue Jun 26 10:06 , Leland <LKUHN at cnmc.org> sent: