[Rhodes22-list] rhodes 17 for sale - This is time for more infofrom the maker of Picnic 17

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jun 28 11:07:22 EDT 2007

Stan,

I have been unable to locate much concerning Mr. Lucander from the age
before the Internet (my, what did we do in the good ol' days?) although I
did locate the following pages about the gentleman's accomplishments which
may be of some general interest or bring back memories:

1.) Discussions on boatdesign.net by his son:
http://www.marinearchitecture.com/forums/printthread.php?t=3012

2.) A pdf of the Grosse Pointe News (Oct 20, 1950):
http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitize/newspapers/gpnews/1960-64/60/1960-10-20.pdf
featuring, on page 16, an ad for Nils Lucander, Jim Schudel & Jack Wagner of
International Yacht Sales (a 17' F-Glas slp for $1,985!).  Also, on the same
page is an article entitled "Boat Banter" which describes the trio as
follows:

"New blood has been added to the local boat brokerage what with Ihe entrance
of a couple of sailing skippcrs, Jack Wagner and Jim Schudel, into the
International Yacht Sales, Inc. The pair join Nils Lucander, another racing
skipper. in the new location on Jefferson Avenue at Eastlawn. Wagner
formerly was coowner of the Class A yacht "Last Straw" a fcw years back with
Dick Jefferys, and Schudel is a wcll knuwn and winning skipper in the
popular Lightning class. He recently won the annual Bayvicw Lightning
Invltational championship. Between the three partners they can boast of  65
years boating experience. All are members of Bayview Yacht Club, the Detroit
River Yachting Associaltion, Detroit Power Squadron and North American Yacht
Racing Union."

Is this the Nils Lucander that you worked with in the sixties?  Did you know
the other gents?

And to think, I thought that I knew the "old General Boats" back in the day
before they moved south ...

Regards,
Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)