[Rhodes22-list] Iran

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 04:03:43 EDT 2007

Slim:

Back in the '70's when oil was embargoed and we had to deal with rationing,
our citizens waited in line patiently for the most part for their share. We
adopted a lower national speed limit and tried to do things like car pool
and take mass transit.  A lot of these things ran contrary to the
independent American spirit, but we made the effort in a civilized manner.
So you are telling us that the " moderate, modern, educated and forward
thinking people of Iran" are facing gas rationing and in contrast, are
rioting and burning down their gas stations in response?

Sounds just like the type of people we should welcome in as the next nuclear
power in the world....

Seriously, one on one, I'm sure they are as fine a people as any.  I don't
think they hate their government, but I do think they are angry because
their government has not delivered on its promise of " a chicken in every
pot".  Dinnerjacket promised everything to everybody and hasn't delivered on
it.   Time to find a scapegoat.  What about the Jews and their pals the
Americans?  Hey, it worked for Hitler.

That said, I'm not advocating attacking Iran or anyone else unless attacked
first.  Preemptive war has demonstrated itself to be poor policy so far or
maybe we just aren't doing it right.  In any case, since intelligence can no
longer be a credible basis for war, Iran will have to bitch-slap somebody to
even draw a response.  I doubt they will do that, so my prediction is that
Iran will in fact get the bomb and taking their cues from North Korea, begin
to extract concessions from the rest of the world.  Heck, Brown and Root
will probably be building new refineries for them before it's all over with
to ease their gas shortage.  Also, the Israel of today is not the same one
that destroyed Iraq's atomic aspirations 20 some odd years ago.  Frankly, I
didn't think that Israel did a very good job in Lebanon last year
considering they were under rocket attack; demonstrating much the same
indecision, lack of political leadership and over-sensitivity to criticism
that we have become famous for.  Speaking of lack of leadership, Bush has
shot our wad in Iraq, so no worries about any more Bushie-style preemptive
war in Iran.  No, Iran will probably become nuclear and the rest of the
world (UN) will sit on its ass just like it always does and we'll just have
to deal with it.  I intend to deal with it by sitting on my Rhodes 22
sailboat with a cold one in one hand and the tiller in the other NOT burning
that ever more expensive gasoline which is destined to be in our future.

Oh goody, we are talking about sailing again!

DC

There is some hope that Iran is not as big a threat as it seems.  This week,
with no notice, President Amadinnerjacket imposed a gas rationing on it's
citizens.  Even though Iran is rich in oil, they have too few refineries to
fulfill it's need so they have to import gasoline.  When the rationing was
announced the populace revolted with rioting, burning gas stations,
disrupting ...well, everything.

You don't have to take my word for it, but it's my understanding that the
vast majority of Iranian citizens hate their President.  They know he's a
scoundrel, a liar, corrupt and evil.  But they're all afraid to speak out
for fear of being imprisoned, tortured, killed, their families too.  As a
matter of fact, Iranian citizens are very moderate, modern, educated and
forward-thinking people.  Most of them admire America and wish they lived
here.  I can only back this up with the anecdotal evidence of Iranians that
I have met and talked with here in the US.  They worry a great deal about
their relatives back home.

The point being that I think it's really good news that the people have
finally risen up in protest of their government.  This may be the start of
something good.

Slim