[Rhodes22-list] Apple virtuality

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Mar 2 09:28:48 EST 2007

Thank you, Ron, for the scoop on Mac virtuality.

After an horrible experience trying to do some modeling
on an Apple 2 in Apple BASIC, I jumped to CP/M, then
MP/M, writing a task dispatcher for the latter ill-fated OS.

When the PC came out using the Seattle Microsystems DOS-86
(skillfully ripped off and relabeled by Gates), I was a
bit concerned, having been abused by Gates' FORTRAN for
CP/M.  I have had to stay on board with the MS progression
of DOS to Windows because of customer's requirements for
the wide range of software that runs on Windows.

Windows has degenerated into a magnet for malware, and the
increasingly invasive character of Windows is even more
off-putting.  The lack of a secure kernel is a major
design flaw -- no amount of lipstick will make that pig
attractive.  I don't know how the designer of the elegant
VAX VMS operating system could have allowed that.

The advent of fully functional and very useful LINUX has
opened a lot of doors, and the fusion of capabilities
offered on the Apple platform is the icing on the cake.
I wonder how long it will be before we see a universal
platform and Apple's progression toward being an OS and
commodity electronics shop?

/Robert