[Rhodes22-list] exercise

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 05:24:01 EST 2007

Just came across this exercise suggested for older
adults, to build
muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so
easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my
friends. The article suggested doing it three days a
week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you
have plenty of
room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each
hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides
and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a
full minute, and then relax. Each day, you'll find
that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato
sacks.
Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to
get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each
hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full
minute. (I'm at this level)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato
in each of the
sacks.

elle