[Rhodes22-list] Winch vs. Cleat

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Mar 6 08:16:39 EST 2007

Just put At Ease back in the water last week and it's been killing me that I
haven't been able to go sailing yet.  I told myself I wouldn't go out unless
the temperature was above 45 degrees and the wind was less than 20 knots.
Maybe I just need to wear more clothes.

Question:  I have a new Marina and new slip.  When the marina tied up my
boat, they secured the spring lines to the winches instead of the cleats.
We get some pretty strong winds (40 mph this morning).  Is this a bad
practice or am I worrying over nothing?

As a new boat owner, it's amazing how much I've learned over the last year
from this list and a little bit of experience.  Makes me wonder how much
more I don't know.  Boat maintenance had some surprises.  Had no idea that
stainless steel required maintenance.  To remove a year's worth of grime on
the fiberglass, my powerful powerwasher could only handle about a two-inch
strip at a time.  It would have been faster to paint the whole boat.
Speaking of paint, no one told me that if hard bottom paint is out of the
water too long, you have to repaint the bottom.  Or if you don't use a paint
can shaker, it takes as long to mix up the copper sludge as it does to do
the actually painting.  And the fumes!  $300 for paint and labor doesn't
sound so bad now!  And don't even get me started on that piece of junk 9.9
Merc!  I thought you guys were joking about using it as an anchor!

On the bright side, I now have ten months of sailing ahead of me before I
have to go through this again.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)