[Rhodes22-list] Winch vs. Cleat

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Mar 6 10:28:36 EST 2007

Ed,

Yes.

We only have a regular tide of 18 inches, but seasonal tides combined with a
strong northern wind (blowing water out of our small bay), and our tide
fluctuates a little over four feet.

In my old slip, extreme low tide meant that I was sitting on the bottom.
Extreme high tide flowed over the dock.  Hurricane Isabelle flowed over the
marina.

My old slip must have been designed for a flat-bottomed houseboat, or naive
first time boat owner.  It was huge but only about two feet deep at normal
low tide.  My primary lines were so loose that I didn't really need spring
lines for tide fluctuations.  I was told to use spring lines to prevent
stress on my primary lines, which never made much sense to me.  I didn't
really care which lines got the most stress.

Lee