[Rhodes22-list] CenterBoard Angle

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:59:12 EST 2007

Lee,

You may be going faster with the centerboard up, but you will not be making
better time toward your target due to sideways drift.  I big function of the
centerboard is to prevent the boat from drifting sideways when reaching.
The only time a centerboard is not really needed is when sailing down wind.
Of course, it doesn't really matter if you are not trying to get to a
specific destination such as when racing.  If you don't care about the
drift, then leave it up.

Hank