[Rhodes22-list] Racers vs Cruisers

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Mar 8 11:58:12 EST 2007

Lee,

I think Hank has hit the nail on the head.

What the racers say is true--if you are aiming for a specific point, and
you are sailing a specific course that is designed to include upwind,
downwind, and reaching legs over a short period of time, constantly
adjusting the centerboard is critical.

I think it's important to know how to do this, and to learn from it when
you are cruising.  But, if all you are doing is cruising, once you know
you can get back to any location on sail power alone, you don't have to
sail in uncomfortable directions--it's a lot less fun.  Also, if your
boat is located in places where there is somewhere to go, you will
usually choose to sail in a reaching direction at the beginning of your
outing, and sail back on a reach if the wind has not shifted.

Cruisers learn to raise and lower their motors more than their centerboards.

Bill Effros