[Rhodes22-list] Define: Lee Helm

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 9 11:38:46 EST 2007

Hank, Peter,

Thank you.

Rummy says (I think) that the boat has weather helm--when overpowered it
turns into the wind.

It seems to me that in either case the solution is to reduce the amount
of sail.

You will actually go faster in the direction you intend, almost upright,
with less sail, when your boat is overpowered.

For me the big issue is trying to keep my rudder neutral.  If the rudder
is knifing through the water with no pressure on either side I will go
faster, and I can actually plane in certain circumstances.

What am I missing?

Bill Effros