[Rhodes22-list] Define: Lee Helm

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Mar 9 12:45:05 EST 2007

Tom,

I believe that you may not have considered all of the features of the R-22.
You have neglected the affect of centerboard use (or ballast) to correct the
helm.  As discussed in an alternate thread, the centerboard position changes
the way the R-22 sails, sometimes dramatically.  As you raise the board, the
CLR is moved aft.  Conversely, the lee helm may be compensated for by
increasing board depth.  For a detailed discussion of these topics, please
see John Ellsworth's article from Sail magazine "Balance Your Helm for
Speed":
http://johnellsworth.com/writing/nautical/balance_helm/balance.html

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)