[Rhodes22-list] Tarp Damage

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 12 11:57:40 EDT 2007

Robert  ---- I'm in the 'reconsideration' mode----I would be interested.
  Rex

Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:
  Bill Effros wrote:
> PS -- Rex, I see more damage done to boats with tarps than without in
> places where snow falls.

Agreed.

Here in maine, I built a framework of PVC pipe to
keep the tarp off the boat surfaces.

The framework is tall, so that snow slides off the
sides, and while some parts are glued together for
stability, it can be knocked down and stored flat.

I use bungee cords to hold it together and to keep
it in place on the boat. More bungees keep the
tarp taut.

I arrived at this solution after trying a tarp over
the mast, then over a wood frame. The weight of the
snow and ice eventually tore the tarp in both
configurations.

The PVC rig has survived some major winds, and is
looking pretty good this spring. Will post a sketch
in anyone is interested.

/Robert