[Rhodes22-list] Source of water in Lazerette

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Mar 14 17:21:55 EDT 2007

At 01:05 PM 3/14/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Water gets into the laz on older boats because the boat is tilted
>stern down a little on a trailer and when it rains the drains do not
>drain fast enough, although I thought that the drains on that boat
>were enlarged.  What happens is it flows over the door edge along
>the back and into the laz.

Yes, I can see how that would happen.  Also, it's possible the drain
hole was clogged with debris (cleaned that out).  The hinges are
missing from the door and those holes can admit water too.

>As to getting the water out of the laz, a plastic bucket and big sponge do
>the job quickly.  You do not need a high priced manual pump.

Heh, $6.95 isn't too high a price.  Besides, I already had one for my canoe :-)

>Leave the door up until it dries out completely.
>
>Again, use the sponge to dab up every drop out of the bilge.  If the boat is
>level and dried out, with the forecast for Friday you will get a better idea
>of what is going on.

That's exactly what I've done.  I peeled back the carpeting in the
cabin floor and opened the access cover over the bilge pump.  There's
not much water left in there now, but lots of broken concrete pieces
(?).  I'll leave everything open as long as weather allows then seal
it up and see what we got.

Cheers!

John Lock