[Rhodes22-list] A Global Intelligence Briefing For CEOs

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Mar 27 14:59:57 EDT 2007

Hank wrote:
> The part about the declining birthrate I found very interesting.  I believe
> you can even break it down further.  Meyer breaks it down by ethnicity, but
> not by socio-economic status.  From my personal observation while living in
> Mexico, The upper and middle class are having fewer babies, while the lower
> class have more.

Hank, this looks like "evolution in action" [Oath of Fealty
(Mass Market Paperback) by Larry Niven (Author), Jerry
Pournelle (Author)].

  http://www.amazon.com/Oath-Fealty-Larry-Niven/dp/0671532278

Let me pose a problem that needs some attention:

It would appear that when you don't have enough money or
education to indulge in other activities, there is always
making babies.

In addition, we have some theological organizations that
actively promote procreation -- as long as they get to
specify how, when, where, and with whom it is accomplished.
These organizations tend to target the poor and uneducated.

There is an observation about democracies which I must
paraphrase, as I don't remember the actual verbage or
attribution:  "The majority (in this case, the poor) can
tax the well-to-do few to support themselves."

Given these two trends, it appears that democracies will
begin to degenerate as soon as they opt for universal
sufferage.

Education:

Acting against this progression is education.  Earlier
in US history, immigration was at a low enough level so
that people coming into the country were motivated to
and could hope to become prosperous within a generation
through public education.  At that time education was a
one-on-one small group exercise in one-room schoolhouses
across the country, and served to transmit cultural
morms via osmosis.

There was plenty of room for malcontents and adventurers
to move west, and a person could adopt a new persona
when they moved on.  Accomplishments and redemption were
possible.

Unfortunately, as we have consolidated and regulated
our public school system, we have de-regionalized and
de-cultured it in the name of efficiency, losing its
very essential capability to transmit cultural norms
and social values to the immigrants that we absorb as
well as our native youth.

We seem to be breeding economic ambition and basic
intellect out of out population - to the arguable
extent that these attributes are related to class or
income.

So -- the question:

What remains to prevent the intellegent and privately
well-educated few from becoming the new slaves of our
socio-economic structure?

--
Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331